Adopt a Park
Adopt-a-Park is a new program managed by the Mishawaka Parks Department that is aimed at improving the environment and beautifying our parks, trails, natural areas, and open spaces by generating a strong sense of ownership and responsibility through community involvement. Adopt-a-Park involves and educates the community in what it takes to preserve clean, safe parks and public areas for everyone. This program offers the opportunity for people and organizations to become more involved in their community in a way that promotes civic pride, appreciation, and awareness.
Who Can Adopt
Anyone from an individual to a community-minded organization can become involved in the Adopt-a-Park program. By participating, individuals, neighborhood organizations, park users, civic and church groups, families, scout troops, businesses, youth groups and schools are all encouraged to do what they can to promote safe, beautiful places for residents to enjoy.
Areas to Adopt
You can adopt an entire park or a particular area in a park including:
- Flower Beds
- Picnic Shelters & Band Shell
- Trees & Shrubs
How Volunteers Can Help
Volunteer groups can help care for their adopted areas in the following ways:
- Litter pick-up
- Leaf raking and debris removal (dead grass, tree limbs, vegetation, wind debris)
- Spreading of mulch, gravel, playground fiber
- Removal of exotic invasive plants
- Assisting staff with planting of flowers, shrubbery, maintenance of flower beds (including weeding and watering)
- Clean-up of picnic shelters and play structures
- Helping to take an inventory of our Park and Public Trees
- Other improvement ideas as suggested or approved
Ways for Individuals to Help
- Join our Landscape Staff Thursdays at Beutter Park from 7:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. to assist with a variety of projects
- Join our Staff on Saturdays at Central Park to help with weeding and trash pick-up
Adopt-a-Park volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum of one season of service to their adopted area. We also ask that volunteers perform cleanups or other tasks in their adopted park or greenway at least once per month. Some tasks may require weekly attention, such as flower beds or landscape area upkeep. Adoption commitments usually begin in March and go through December. Other off season help is welcome and scheduled dependent on weather conditions.
Adopt a park today by calling the Mishawaka Parks Office at 574-258-1664 or email Jake Crawford at email@example.com.