Mishawaka Utilities Complaint Resolution Process
Initial complaints by Mishawaka Utilities (“MU”) customers will be resolved by direct communication with MU Customer Service Representatives, the MU Business Manager, and/or MU General Manager, where possible.
- Before filing a Mishawaka Utilities Complaint Resolution, please contact the MU Business Office at 574-258-1630 and speak to a Customer Service Representative. They are knowledgeable in understanding your bill and can resolve any unanswered questions that you may have.
- If you are still dissatisfied, ask to speak with the MU Business Office Manager, and or MU General Manager and they will review the situation and help explain any further questions you may still have.
- When such complaints are not resolved to the customer’s satisfaction through the above channels, a customer may file a formal, written complaint to the City of Mishawaka Utility Board (“Board”) using the prescribed form (“Mishawaka Utilities – Complaint Resolution Appeal”).
- The Board shall review all complaints within ten (10) business days and respond in writing to the customer with its decision. If the response is not to the satisfaction of the customer, the customer may file a written request for a public hearing by the Board. Upon such request, the Board will set a hearing no later than sixty (60) days after receipt of the customer’s request and notify the customer in writing of the date, time, and location of the hearing. Such notice shall be sent at least ten (10) days prior to the hearing date.
- At the hearing, the customer may present evidence and make arguments in support of his/her position. Any interested person may be allowed to participate in the hearing to present evidence in opposition to the customer’s position. Within ten (10) days after the conclusion of the hearing, the board shall render a written decision to either affirm, modify, or reverse its original decision.